Microwave cooking of wheat starch for hinging adhesive
For this method you will need a microwave oven, a suitable 4 oz. container, an accurate means of measuring, and a spoon for stirring.
Produces 2 tablespoons wheat starch paste.
- 1 teaspoon dry wheat starch.
- 6 teaspoons distilled or deionized water.
- Place 6 tsps. Water in 4 oz. Container. Slowly add 1 tsp. Dry wheat starch, stirring until it is completely mixed.
- Place uncovered container off center in microwave oven. Cook at medium-high stirring every 10 seconds.
- After approximately 30 to 35 seconds of cooking, the paste will thicken and become translucent.
- Cover and let stand until cool.
This paste will start to grow mold within a day or two, even in the refrigerator. Some molds are green, blue, pink, orange or clear. Do not risk using moldy paste for hinging.